“Memoirs of a Geisha” – A commentary
“Memoirs of a Geisha” – A commentary
To all of you who are planning on reading “Memoirs of a Geisha” by Arthur Golden in the near future, I suggest that you don’t read this post. It will spoil the book for you.
Considering the fact that this book was out six years ago, I’m saddened by the fact that I hadn’t read it earlier. Guess its better late than never!
I must admit that I haven’t read many autobiographies. This book is among my first.
Arthur Golden failed to make an impression on me as an author but I must admit that the story was quite a mind-opener for me on several important issues like child labour, basic human rights, inferior social ranking of women and mostly about Japanese history and culture.
First of all I would like to acknowledge the comment made by Margaret Forster as being completely true. “While reading it you become transported to another time, another place, and feel you’re listening and seeing with someone else’s eyes and ears.” The author succeeds in rousing your empathy for this Japanese girl, Sayuri.
I still don’t understand how a man taking on a mistress can be such a socially acceptable occasion. The thought of a woman’s virginity being auctioned off to the highest bidder is appalling. I cannot comprehend how a geisha is only granted full status after she auctions off her virginity. Despite all the claims against the fact that geisha are prostitutes, in my opinion, they are high-class, highly trained, socially acceptable prostitutes who are forced into this way of life out of necessity rather than by choice.
The book as always is more detailed and complete compared to the movie. Barring several disappointing changes, the director had managed to convey the essence of the story to the viewers. The kimonos were as beautiful as I had imagined while reading the book.
The book is definitely worth reading. I would recommend it to anyone who has some degree of interest in reading about society in a far away land in a time not-so-long-ago.
To all of you who are planning on reading “Memoirs of a Geisha” by Arthur Golden in the near future, I suggest that you don’t read this post. It will spoil the book for you.
Considering the fact that this book was out six years ago, I’m saddened by the fact that I hadn’t read it earlier. Guess its better late than never!
I must admit that I haven’t read many autobiographies. This book is among my first.
Arthur Golden failed to make an impression on me as an author but I must admit that the story was quite a mind-opener for me on several important issues like child labour, basic human rights, inferior social ranking of women and mostly about Japanese history and culture.
First of all I would like to acknowledge the comment made by Margaret Forster as being completely true. “While reading it you become transported to another time, another place, and feel you’re listening and seeing with someone else’s eyes and ears.” The author succeeds in rousing your empathy for this Japanese girl, Sayuri.
I still don’t understand how a man taking on a mistress can be such a socially acceptable occasion. The thought of a woman’s virginity being auctioned off to the highest bidder is appalling. I cannot comprehend how a geisha is only granted full status after she auctions off her virginity. Despite all the claims against the fact that geisha are prostitutes, in my opinion, they are high-class, highly trained, socially acceptable prostitutes who are forced into this way of life out of necessity rather than by choice.
The book as always is more detailed and complete compared to the movie. Barring several disappointing changes, the director had managed to convey the essence of the story to the viewers. The kimonos were as beautiful as I had imagined while reading the book.
The book is definitely worth reading. I would recommend it to anyone who has some degree of interest in reading about society in a far away land in a time not-so-long-ago.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home